SSEN:BE comprises 14 engagement centres, the Midland Learning Academy and staff who deliver Classroom Management Strategies (CMS) and Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) professional learning.
Engagement Centres coordinate the K-12 provision of the following three services:
- Professional learning to improve student engagement and behaviour.
- Consultative support for schools needing additional assistance with planning for those students with very complex needs.
- Intensive support for individual students exhibiting the most extreme, challenging and complex needs.
Every centre is led by a Program Coordinator and line managed by the Principal and Associate Principals of the school.
Every Education Region has an Engagement Centre (see the Fact Sheet for the location of the Engagement Centres).
Professional Learning Support
SSEN:BE offers a range of professional learning opportunities for school staff relating to behaviour and engagement, based on the identified needs of the school.
Consultative support builds the capacity of staff to identify and understand student needs, plan to address/support identified needs, implement plans and review the intervention.
Where a school’s ongoing efforts at intervention have not resulted in significant improvement in student behaviour, a more intensive service may be offered. Intensive support requires parental permission and may be provided directly to the student and/or indirectly via support to school staff. This may include:
- the allocation of staff from the Engagement Centre to provide individualised student support, staff training and development, and assistance for the formulation and implementation of student support plans in the school;
- ongoing support for a school in challenging circumstances to implement whole-school intervention planning; and
- direct support to the student within the school setting. When indicated, direct student support may be delivered at a SSEN:BE site for a period of time as part of the planned intervention (section 3.2 of the Student Attendance procedures outlines school responsibilities for this arrangement to occur).
Midland Learning Academy
The Academy is a small school model designed for highly disengaged students who are no longer participating in mainstream schooling and are unlikely to reengage with mainstream schooling even with the additional support and services provided by engagement centres.
The Academy is more informal than a standard school with students having individualised learning programs based on their interests and aspirations. Teachers guide students through their program with the support of family and mentors. Learning occurs on site and also involves workplace and community engagement related to each student’s learning goals.
Contact information for all enquiries or requests regarding the services SSEN:BE provides:
Telephone: (08) 9402 6200
Request for assistance only: SSENBE.RequestforAssistance@education.wa.edu.au
Statewide Services Centre
School of Special Educational Needs: Behaviour and Engagement (SSEN:BE)
33 Giles Avenue
Padbury WA 6025